Shades Of The Gray

The experiences of an Rgis Team leader.

Friday, October 06, 2006

The Power Of The Gray

I decided to start this blog because I’ve seen a lot of blogs about Rgis, but none of them ever talk about the real glue of a district… the Team leaders. In my former district we were referred to as gray shirts (hence my blog title).

I first became a team leader because in my district, which will not be mentioned to save the innocent (me), and protect the guilty. Being a gray shirt is the most coveted position an auditor can hold. It makes you a super hero… no a god. A gray shirt was like gold. It could get you a lot of perks, and let gave you lots of advantages mere mortals (the burgundy's) could only dream about. And management only asked for one little thing in exchange... your soul.

At the time I thought it was well worth it since I knew that gray shirt had super powers. It had the ability to make you invisible to hostile managers who treat you like crap when you go help out in their district (I’ve often wondered why managers act this way. I mean if someone comes to our district to help out when we're short, we bend over backwards to make them feel welcomed because they were saving our butts).

Being a team leader also has the power to get you more hours, keep you from having to count crappy areas, and the biggest perk of all… it makes you immune from following the rules everyone else is expected to follow. This however wasn’t the only reason I wanted to be a team leader (because I would never take advantage of a situation. cough…cough), my second motivation was the mean, rotten, evil team leaders that made the job more difficult. These were the meanest people I had ever met. As a matter a fact, I use to try and see if their tails and horns were showing through their uniforms.

They were so vicious, and when I arrived the district was in chaos, and we were at the very bottom of our division. Not only was the district struggling, but everyone was full of hatred, bitterness and resentment. As a result we were short auditors, and every day brought about a new crisis. So I thought if I could just become a team leader and treat people like human beings maybe things would improve (can you say naive).

Well that didn’t happen, but being a team leader turned out to be a lot of fun, and a big pain in the butt. I had my good inventories (in and out in less than 3 hours), and my bad inventories (short 5 auditors and in the store 12 hours). I’ve worked with some really awesome counters, and some real lousy counters. I had my days of loving the job, and days where I wanted to quit.

Nevertheless, my experiences at RGIS, both good and bad, were a blast and I had a lot of fun. I met a lot of crazy, strange, evil, mean and wonderful people. As a team leader you have to deal with a lot of different personalities and you also get to see a lot of strange things. Everything from auditors who bring drama to work, managers who breakdown in January, and crazy store managers that freak out because they get busted for stealing. If you’ve ever worked at Rgis then you know what I’m talking about, but hey it’s all a part of the job.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home